Saturday, March 1, 2008

Leipzig

I spent all day on a field trip to Leipzig, an East German city known for having a strong bourgeoisie. 

We took a city tour, saw old buildings, learned about WWII memorials. I discovered a Breuninger, a Stuttgarter department store where I bought the incredible hoody you see in the pictures (sorry mom and dad, but that hoody went on the card).

I also went to a Lutheran church where they had a Saturday service with organ concert. It's where Bach used to be musical director. Anyway, Lutheran services are weird, they don't strike fear the way Catholic ones do, but they don't have the same love/community/caring vibe that Unitarians do. Strangely, when the congregation said the "Vater Unser" (our Father in Heaven) prayer I knew it all and felt compelled to say it all in unison.

Some old building built by a mayor.


Old city council building.

A picture of Lauren, me, and my new hoody. Weather sucked.

1 comment:

Katie J said...

The buildings are really cool. Love the hoody...are those eyes?

By the way, we're going to be in Belgium for a couple of months and would love to see you while we're there if it works out.