Friday, February 8, 2008

Chicks On Speed

Last night my friends and I went to see the band Chicks On Speed. They're a lot like Le Tigre, it's electro music but has a riot-grrrl feel. H&M was sponsoring the show because proceeds go to their AIDS charity, so we were really nervous that the club would be a bunch of 15 year olds. The audience turned out to be like Trash, the venue was like Don Hill's, and the music was like Cheeky Bastard- Uffie will play there next week (btw that entire description was for Mukai's benefit, the only one who can understand). At one point in the show, the band asked that some people from the audience go on stage to dance, so four friends and I decided to go, there were photographers there and we're not quite sure where these terrible pictures may surface. After the band they had an awful DJ who really pissed me off; he was playing these amazing dance songs but mixed them all to sound like non-descript techno, it was blasphemous.

My plans for the weekend:
Saturday: field trip Potsdam, take pictures to post
Go to Kunsthaus Tacheles, a bombed out department store that is now an artist squat and bar (see below)
Sunday: it's my friend's birthday so we're going to "Black Girls Coalition," a former squat that is now a club owned by a drag-queen from Brooklyn.

Squats are really common in Berlin, I can see two big ones from my balcony. Berlin always had problems getting people to move here; during the separation it was very undesirable for Westerners because you really couldn't travel outside the city, and after the wall came down, squats in former communist buildings were common because of the power-vacuum.

So, here's a video I found of Tacheles:

No comments: